Friday, May 15, 2009

Mama's Ribs

I will never profess to be the greatest cook in the world, but I think that I've got a few failproof recipes up my sleeve. This is one of them. My husband would probably eat these every night given the chance.

To modify this for children, I'd cut back on the chili flake a bit. Oh yeah, make sure they're wearing a bib. And don't worry about the beer. It'll help them sleep. JUST KIDDING. It cooks out. Dude, chill!

Gather:

2 lbs country style pork ribs (either bone-in or boneless)
1 medium sweet onion roughly chopped.
1 T red pepper flake (more or less to your taste)
1 bottle of beer (I find a domestic macro works better than microbrews)
1 cup bbq sauce of your preference
olive oil
salt
pepper


Turn the oven on to 300F. On the stovetop, heat to med/high heat a large dutch oven and go round a few times with the olive oil. Saute the onion and the red pepper flake in the oil till onion is translucent, push to the sides of the dutch oven. Add a bit more oil and lay down the ribs (which you've already seasoned with salt & pepper). Sear on all sides. Pour the beer into the dutch oven and use a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom (the fancy term for this is deglazing).

Put the lid on the dutch oven and place in the oven. Set the timer for about two hours. At two hours, pull the dutch oven out and get rid of all of the cooking liquid except for about an inch on the bottom. Add the bbq sauce and mix well. Cover the dutch oven and place back in the oven till the bbq sauce is sticky - ususally about another 1/2 hour.

Serve as pieces of meat or shred it up for pulled pork.

I won't even give any kind of nutrition information because you probably don't even want to know (I know I don't).

No comments:

Post a Comment